This time we move on to working behiind a bar in the hotel. This varies of course because here at the Ponsmere we have wine service (in the dining room) cocktail bar (for guests only) and the Sunset bar (open to guests and public alike)
Wine waiter/waitress has to visit each table in the dining room and ask if they would like wine with their meals or drinks form the bar. It helps to know your wine menu and be prepared to visit the wine cellar or open champagne. Taking money, checking room details and carrying drink laden trays are all part of the job.
In the cocktail bar you will be expected to be smart and very customer orientated. Money handling and credit cards are an integral part of the job and you will find guests want to chat, so knowing the hotel is a big advantage, as is knowing the weather forecast and the entertainment schedule!
The Sunset bar is more casual dress wise but it is again, hard work. Cash, credit cards, food ordering and the ability to serve in a high stressed environment whilst staying calm and pleasant is a must.
Disadvantages of this work:
1) You will often be working unsociable hours until fairly late in the evenings depending on which position you are employed to do
2) A combination of all three may be required over a period of the Summer.
3) Expect to have to clean up after food service and wipe tables.
1) Pay is quite good and food is often included in your shift time.
2) A great social position to be in and you will get to meet a wide variety of people
3) You won't be bored during the Sumner and can often be working between two or even three areas of the hotel.
4) A later start to the day is ideal for those who don't want to rise early.
5) Working here you will have amazing views whichever area you are in and again a great way to keep fit!
I love this work. I did get a little stressed to begin with, trying to remember prices and which drink to put in which glass but the social aspect suits me and I love above all , the variety of doing different areas. The fact I am now able to help out at functions in the quiet times is a bonus and whilst I am behind the bar serving I am not on the other side of it spending money.
Bring on the vino!